Thursday, April 24, 2014

Water, water everywhere...

Last week, we talked about how to find and work with a good contractor and I promised y’all a post that featured my own experience with one this week.

First though, let’s talk about water. We all know that water is important to life, and lots of people like seeing it on their vacations, blah blah blah.

Where would you prefer there not be water though? Survey says, “In your basement!”

The day I looked at Isthmus House, there was water in the basement. That was an exceptionally rainy spring where pretty much everyone had water in their basements but I doubted that ours was going away.

After sealing up some cracks in the driveway (thanks to my dad) and buying one heavy duty dehumidifier, we had pretty minimal water problems with the exception of one really unpleasant (for me) storm but they weren’t quite gone. Now, yeah, I need to Drylok my basement and probably make my sump deeper and I’ll get to that but it’s all for naught if you don’t deal with the origination of the problem.

Since I can’t (and probably don’t want to) make it stop raining, I needed to look to the gutters. Turns out, cleaning helped (side note, clean your gutters every fall and spring) but they were in bad shape and needed to be replaced.

Gutters are vital to your home’s health. They move water off of your roof (likely the most expensive single purchase in any home), off of your siding/brick/trim/etc., and off of your foundation to more helpful places like your garden. That’s important to keeping structural integrity – and a clean and dry basement.

So, last fall, I got several bids, narrowed it down and promptly got busy immediately before one very early first snow. For me, that translated in bad ice dams on the roof this year, getting up to probably 8+ inches in places. 
 

Ice dams happen when there’s hot air under the snow and/or there’s a warm day here and there. The snow that’s fallen on the roof melts a bit and then refreezes to ice and stacks up. That can lead to severe roof damage when the ice takes the path of least resistance and goes under the shingles and additional gutter damage if it moves out. If your gutters are in good shape and clean, they’ll generally take care of the runoff from the snow melting in the first place and you won’t have to deal with things like salt pucks and socks.

My gutters were already in rough shape but, the day before my new ones were set to be installed, I found out they were actually separated from the house in places. Not so great for dealing with excess water I don’t want damaging my siding, foundation and basement.



Yeah, that light near the top of the ladder isn't supposed to be there...


I was pretty pleased when the crew showed up bright and early to get to work.

First, they had to detach the old ones without damaging my roof.

 


I was hoping against hope that we wouldn’t have any complications but I didn’t get that lucky this time.

There were a few places where the old crown molding underneath the gutters had completely rotted out to the point of crumbing at the touch. We cut those old pieces out and I headed to my favorite local salvage shop to try to find some old crown molding.
 
Fortunately, the owner had about 18 feet of molding that was similar enough to get away with (covered by the gutters, after all) and we could get back to work with me only $5 poorer from material acquisition.



 

Once the new trim was in its place, the crew got to putting up the new, seamless gutter.

It’s really pretty cool how they make them. The aluminum (.032 gauge) comes in a big roll that is then molded into the gutter (in my case, k-style – probably the shape you think of when you think gutters) shape.


 

It was hard to believe the before/after comparison even on the ground.

 
 

These are bigger troughs with bigger downspouts (3x4” instead of 2x3”) so that they can move about four times as much water off of my house/siding/foundation without overflowing in a downpour.

They also look pretty – although that really just means that now I have to paint all of my trim… Glad that was already in the plans!


 

So, with our new gutters, I’m hopeful for even less water in the basement and even more progress outside right around the corner. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment