Friday, September 6, 2013

And I suppose walls would be nice too...

I've mentioned Rehab Addict and host Nicole Curtis at least a couple of times so far in my posts about the House on the Isthmus but I've never had news quite this exciting:

I got to work with her on her project in Detroit over Labor Day weekend!

On Saturday, Sita and I went down to visit the fence-building. It's hard to believe such an overgrown lot can look so good - not to mention the house! The new season is coming on October 17 so you'll be able to see it too!

Nicole needed help with taping and painting up the house on Monday so my little sister, Laura, and I went down to Detroit (real Detroit :)) to offer a hand before I headed to the airport. It was a lot of fun and it was pretty cool to see a house go from missing siding and windows (it had a fire a while back) to looking like an actual house.

At Isthmus House, we're making progress too! In the downstairs bathroom project that just won't end, we're almost done repairing the walls after the mix of plaster, drywall and cement board made for a mess of ridges and cracks. I can't wait to get paint on them! I ended up with this beautiful Marine Reef color that's very similar to a color produced in 1910.


 
 
 
There's one small delay though - my walls aren't ready to paint. As I've mentioned in past posts, we've had some trouble with the plaster/greenboard/cement board to date. Where any two materials met, the walls were ridged and looked piecemeal.
 
So, they're being refinished. That means lots of cleaning and taping off, sanding, skimcoating, more sanding, more skimcoating and more sanding. I'm hoping to have everything painted by the end of the weekend so that I can FINALLY post the reveal! Here's what the walls and ceiling looked like as of last night:
 
 

 
As you can see, the grey parts aren't yet dry. Once they are, though, the sanding will begin again and then finally priming and painting!
 
You might see something else fun in the pictures though... New electrical! While the overhead light/fan combo was already featured in a previous post, the sconces, outlet and switches are new!


Once the walls are complete, we just have the mirror and shelving installation, replacing the door and trim and replumbing the sink! That's a tiny list comparatively and I'm so excited!

Here's hoping next week's House on the Isthmus post is all about the reveal!

No comments:

Post a Comment