Friday, January 10, 2014

Can't I just rip down the wall?

Timelines around restorations are next to impossible to stick to when you're traveling half the time and trying to coordinate contractors the other half. I don't plan on letting anyone cut holes in my walls if I'm not there.

I would love to just rip out one set of cabinets, cut a hole in my wall and slide in the fridge where it belongs but that's not a real possibility yet. One thing I've found can help me stick closer to schedule is planning to the the smallest details. I'm working on kitchen plans, den plans and upstairs plans. This week, let's talk about kitchen plans.

Without a doubt, I'll be keeping my beautiful, only-slightly-sloped Douglas fir floors. They have only mild water damage in a couple of small places so I might have to feather in some of the pieces I got other places in the house but it won't be too bad.

Currently, I'm thinking white, shaker style cabinets like these. I keep looking for salvaged cabinets I can use but it's challenging when you have 9-foot ceilings and going all the way up would look best for the house! When I'm thinking these things through, I'm trying to decide how many open shelves I can use by the sink - we'll talk sinks in a minute - and can I use glass doors?

Other considerations include butcher block (in more of a deep walnut finish) versus black soapstone for my countertops. You'd best believe granite will not be making an appearance in my kitchen. 

Along those same lines, I was thinking about putting in a copper farmhouse sink. Aside from being pretty pricy, the biggest problem with this is that I can't just pick whatever hardware I want. I have to look at the tones of the cabinetry, floor, countertops, hardware and everything else with it. I might go with a porcelain, white farmhouse sink instead since I still love the style.

I've already started compiling lighting - I'm pretty excited for that! It'll be nice to not have only my fridge where it belongs but also to have lights that aren't fluorescent.

Here's the before: think we can improve upon it?


1 comment:

  1. If you need help with your kitchen planning, I'm a kitchen and bath designer at Acorn Kitchen and Bath. Let me know if you want help. :)

    ReplyDelete