Thursday, July 11, 2013

The first buckets of color

Over 4th of July weekend, I made a trip back to my beloved Detroit for paint. Well, technically, I was really there for my family, but paint was part of the weekend.

About an hour from my parents’ house is a town called Jackson. Jackson is home to the closest Seven Paints store by far and Seven Paints is pretty much the only place that carries California Paints. For comparison purposes, the closest one to Isthmus House is 144 miles away in Oswego, Illinois.

My mother and I took a field trip over to the store and spent about an hour and a half choosing nearly all of the colors for the first floor of the house. This is particularly challenging because every room will be visible from every other room when I reopen the foyer to the kitchen. That means all of the colors have to transition nicely but also define the spaces.
We definitely got enough paint to give me something to do for a while!



The foyer is going to be in the beautiful soft Sleeper’s Entry with a Mid-Century White ceiling (along with all of the ceilings in the house). We’re going to be reopening the vaulted ceiling in the foyer since it’s poorly drywalled and paneled over. Really, who does that?

From there, I’ll transition into the living room once it’s drywalled over in a pretty Clamshell grey with Ivory Cottage in the porch. The buttery Ivory Cottage will need go directly over the paneling once it’s sanded – don’t worry, there will be pictures for the whole thing!

The dining room will be a soft sage color called Sea Oats before we reach the kitchen in a beautiful Garden Terrace.

So, when we’re done, the transition between the rooms will look like this (a little lighter and brighter maybe, depending on your computer’s graphic properties):

With all Relative White trim, the house should go back to looking clean and pretty with just a few hundred dollars and some time. Photos to follow as we finish room by room!

Update: These plans changed dramatically when I opened a can and was all ready to paint and it was way off from the desired colors a while later. I can't say whether or not that's typical but we made some last minute changes at Isthmus House!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Katie! We've got to get the drywall up first but I'm hoping things look as harmonious as the swatches do once we're done! :)

    ReplyDelete